If you’re serious about buying a new home and haven’t hired a (professional!) real estate agent AND had a detailed consultation…
DO NOT go to an open house
DO NOT call a listing agent for information about a house
DO NOT call, text, or scan a QR code for property/other info
DO NOT go to a new construction site for a tour
DO NOT contact a For Sale By Owner, a friend of a friend, a neighbor, or even a family member who has a property you’re interested in
Every single one of those things will put you at risk. Yes, even talking to a family member about a property you want to buy from them. Having a conversation with your agent first will save you a LOT of trouble on the backside so it’s important to do it every time. If it’s a great situation and there isn’t anything for your agent to consult on or contribute, that’s wonderful! Hindsight is 20/20 for a reason though and it’s exponentially better to do the work upfront than to get kicked around on the other end.
What to Look for in a Real Estate Agent
When buying a home, you want a real estate agent who (at a minimum!)…
- Takes the time to understand your needs and your goals (not just “know what they are”) so that they can provide additional insights and solutions that will get you where you want to go.
- Explains everything clearly and answers your questions, so you’re never in the dark.
- Always tells you what’s going to happen next and what to expect through the process.
- Has expertise and a track record of success vs “having a real estate license” – agents are a dime a dozen but just because there are many doesn’t mean they are qualified.
- Knows how to find great properties in your price range, on and off the market.
- Knows how to WIN great properties in your price range, on and off the market.
- Will advise you on the best price and terms to offer for the home you want.
- Will strategically prepare and present your offer, and skillfully negotiate the price, conditions, inspections, closing dates, etc. so you get the house that you want.
- Will protect you contractually and through disclosure and contingency management for things like your home inspection, financing, insurance, title, feasibility options, septic issues, well considerations, waterfront usage, view protection, and more.
- Will recommend reputable home inspectors, movers, and other professionals you may need, and MORE!
Not every real estate agent offers all of these services, even if I wish that they would offer more. These are the minimum though and there’s a good chance you’d have a positive home buying experience. If you aren’t sure how to find out if an agent has the skills and services listed above, shoot me a text or give me a call. I’d love to help you personally and if we are a great fit, I’d be excited to work with you! But if we aren’t quite right for one another, I’ll gladly walk you through exactly what to do to find a great agent…and can even help find one for you 🙂